Friday 13 June 2014

Project Management Interview: A Special Interview With Ojiugo Ajunwa

Here’s my special project management interview with Mrs. Ojiugo Ajunwa. Mrs. Ojiugo is a certified project management professional. In this interview, she shares with us how she got started in project management, her project management career, and she also offers advice to aspiring project managers.


Tell Us About Your Background And Education.Ojiugo-Ajunwa


My name is Mrs. Ojiugo Ajunwa, the Executive Director of Training and Project Management at Ritetrac Consulting Nigeria Limited. I’m an experienced project manager with over 12+ years of promoting project success using project management methodologies. I hold an MBA in Management from the University of Calabar, a PMP (Project Management Professional) Certification from the PMI (Project Management Institute, USA) and currently pursuing a PhD in Project Management at Atlantic International University, USA.


I Love Hearing How Project Managers Got Their Start. How Did You Get Started In Project Management?


Hmmm, I got started accidentally when the project management industry in Nigeria was just kicking-off whilst working with a start-up Information Technology Consulting Company. By starting accidentally, I mean my job roles in several organizations made me to want to learn more about how to manage projects and deliver them successfully incorporating best practices. So from there, I picked up interest in project management. Then I pursued and got my PMP certification in 2009.


Why Did You Decide To Pursue The PMP Certification?


I decided to pursue the PMP Certification from Project Management Institute (PMI) due to the vast knowledge, resources and network that the Institute has. And as the saying goes “Iron Sharpens Iron”, I found them a good fit for my career growth. PMI is a robust organization boosting over 605,909 Certified PMPs Worldwide as at April, 2014.


As The Executive Director of Training and Project Management at Ritetrac Consulting Nigeria Limited, What Are Your Responsibilities?


My responsibilities vary. I carry out consulting services such as process improvement; project auditing, set up and management of PMOs (Project Management Offices), etc, with various types of clients ranging from SME to the public sector in Nigeria. I interface with clients to develop and deliver training contents geared towards improving their skill sets in areas required by their organization. I also conduct research and business development as part of my activities.


Lastly, What Advice Would You Give To Someone Considering A Career In Project Management?


It’s a great career to embrace. You must be passionate about working with people, must be an avid reader and good at networking. You need to embrace and be up-to-date on the current happenings in the industry via social media networks. You need to try your hands on technological tools, such as project management softwares that will enable you manage projects. You also need to try and get creative when breaking into the project management industry by volunteering and attending conferences, webinars, etc, as this will ensure you make rapid progress.


You can connect with Mrs. Ojiugo Ajunwa on LinkedIn and Facebook.


 



Nigerian Project Manager, Ojiugo Ajunwa, Project Management Interview, project management nigeria, Ritetrac Consulting Nigeria

No comments:

Post a Comment